Thursday, September 11, 2008

Latest and Greatest Cinnamon Rolls

This is for Jen Pedersen...and anyone else who wants to try their hand at it!  

2 c. milk
2 pkg. yeast (1/4 oz. each)
1/2 c. warm water
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. veg. oil
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1 egg
7 cups all purpose flour

Warm milk and dissolve yeast into it.  Let sit until creamy, about 10 min.  Combine yeast mixture, water, sugar, oil, baking powder, salt, egg, and 3 cups of the flour and beat until smooth.  Add remaining flour 1/2 c. at a time.  You'll need to mix in the last few additions by hand with a wooden spoon probably.  Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until soft and smooth, about 10 minutes.  Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel.  Let rise about an hour or until doubled in size.  Punch dough down and roll out into a huge rectangle on your counter, about 1/4 in. thick.  Spread 1/2 c. melted butter all over the dough.   Mix 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and 3 Tbsp. cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the melted butter.  Roll up the dough beginning with the long edge of the rectangle and pinch the seam to seal it.  Cut into 24 rolls and place into 2 lightly greased 9x13 inch pans, 12 rolls in each.  Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. 
In the morning, pull rolls out, uncover them, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Bake rolls uncovered for 25 minutes or so, until golden brown.  Let cool a few minutes and then spread on the frosting.  I use 2 sticks butter, 1 box powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla, and a tablespoon or so of milk and beat it with an electric mixer until fluffy.  Enjoy!  

3 comments:

Jennifer Pedersen said...

Oh boo hoo! I thought maybe I could just throw a few things in a bowl, throw them in a pan and the delicious iced cinnamon rolls would magically appear! I am determined to try this very soon...I keep thinking about them and how yummy, melt-in-your-mouth they were!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Anne, and I will let you know how they turn out. If they don't you are coming to my house to give me a personal lesson!!

Lisa Joy said...

Thanks, Anne! I can't wait to give them a try! I sure miss your baking!

Lisa Joy said...

Ok, I made the dough last night and it didn't rise at all! It still felt smooth and elastic-y, but my yeast must have been bad or something. I went ahead and put it into rolls and whatnot, and tried to bake them this morning, but of course, they came out like rolled up rocks! Sigh. If I have the energy, I may try them again tonight.