Sunday, December 12, 2004

Wierdo, I guess

Anne and I were just riding on the U-Bahn (subway). There was an older couple sitting across from us and he was looking at me in the "normal" Austrian way. Just kind of observing me - not a big deal. I was checking him out too, cause he had this interesting ear warmer thing on with a big Edelweiss flower on it. After 5 minutes or so, he said a few things to his wife which I didn't try to understand. I just noticed he had a strong Viennese dialect - which is very different than the "high German" taught in schools in Germany and Austria.
Then, 1-2 minutes before we were getting off, this guy started talking to me. Honestly, I couldn't understand really anything he was saying. Normally, I can pick up 50-75% of what people say, and at least a little if they speak the Vienna dialect. But with this guy - gar nichts (nothing at all). He started getting more and more worked up with whatever he was talking about and then was talking to me and Anne. He wasn't asking us questions, but just kept right on talking while his wife just ignored the whole situation. It became sorta funny because he just kept right on going eventhough we said nothing - just sorta nodded our head like we understood. After all that, there was a lull in his talking and it was time for us to get off the U-Bahn, so I said to Anne that we needed to get off (in German). We got off and I don't know if that guy even knew that we didn't understand what he was saying at all.
Anne and I were sorta stunned and wondered what he was saying. I told her that the only words I picked up were "explosion" and "Russia", and maybe something like "down here". He seemed pretty upset about whatever that was - maybe something to do with WWII, since Russia occupied Austria then and supposedly were not nice to the Austrians.

Maybe that whole story was boring to you, but it sure was amusing to us. :)

No comments: