Monday, February 26, 2007

Death by Stairs


Folks, our stairs are killing me. All 79 of them have a plot against me, I'm sure of it! A couple times each day I travel (Yes, travel. It IS a journey.) up and down these stairs with Cole, my 25 pound and ever growing hip attachment. Often, I have a bag or two of groceries in my other hand (THAT is a whole other story) and a backpack containing some life essentials on my back. You know...diapers, wipes, sippy cup, snack, wallet, kleenex, and of course, a couple toys for the ride.
The upside to this is that my leg muscles burn each time I reach my front door and I get my heart rate up to fat burning levels. It's a wonder I get the key in the door. There should be a warning at the bottom of the stairs! You'd think that after 2 and a half years of doing this I'd be in better shape, like those who live at high altitudes.
So let's pretend that Cole & I leave our apartment 2 times each day, which means we return home 2 times each day, too. That's 79 x 2 = 158 stairs per day. Then, that's 158 x 7 days per week = 1106 stairs per week logged on my legs carrying 25 pounds plus each time.
My only hope is that Cole will soon be ready to walk, which means he can start climbing those stairs HIMSELF. Whew!

2 comments:

Barnes Family said...

yikes! this looks pretty, but i cannot imagine taking these steps several times a day. even though rowan could walk them himself, it would take him FOREVER!

Christiane said...

This reminds me of the stairs to our apartment in Prague. I was afraid I was going to wipe out everytime I went down them. I am impressed with your ability to carry Cole AND groceries up and down. Looks like quite a workout!