Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Thorn

As I type both of our little boys are napping soundly...ahhhh.  I'm so thankful for this time so far on vacation, because I've been able to take a nap in the sun a couple of times; something I have not done in I think years.  Yes, years.  
The thorn in my side, though, so far this vacation, is Max's night time sleeping habits.  He just won't sleep.  Folks, he's almost 7 months.  This is not February when frequent night time waking was expected.  I just don't know what to do!  This has been happening at home, too, for about 2 weeks, so it's not a "we're on vacation" funk and something he needs to get used to.   The last couple of nights Max has been up at least three times, not often hungry but more to be comforted.  Last night I finally brought him to bed with me at 3 a.m. and we slept until 7:30 a.m.  Ug. 
I welcome any ideas and tips from those of you who have some to spare!  I need some more sleep! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....teething? Growing pains? Probably both would have been shorter lived than 2 weeks though. Maybe it started as one of the above and now its a bit of a habit. Every now-and-then I have to give her a good 10 mins to "work it out" when she wakes up in the night and she puts herself back to sleep. Maybe he's started rolling over in the night or something like that wakes him up? Try letting him fuss for a few before going in......
All I have! :)

Christiane said...

Hey Anne,

I recall feeling like Lucy went through a little "regression" with sleeping, prior to sleeping through the night forever. I'm thinking it was around 7-9 months, so maybe that is what Max is doing? I don't have an explanation for it, but your story sounds oh-so familiar. This also tells you how quickly you forget about this painful period (as you know!) I remember feeling like I was just getting up to entertain her and not because she was needing to eat. I think this might have been the time that I started making myself watch the clock and only go in every 15 minutes and try to soothe her in other ways. I think this was much more painful for me than for her. The 15 minutes often ended up being much longer than she needed to figure out how to put herself back to sleep.
Good luck!!!

Crystal Ridlon said...

I wonder if he needs a comfort item in bed with him. Robby has been sleeping with green doggy since he was three weeks. Christopher has been sleeping with blue doggy since birth. Try giving him the same stuffed animal every night when you lie him down. When he wakes in the night give him the same animal. He may learn to comfort himself with a comforting item. Robby still sleeps with green doggy. When he wakes up in the night he finds his dog kisses him and goes back to sleep. Good luck. I will pray this passes quickly.