Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Volleyball and other sports

I've started being an assistant coach for the girls volleyball team at VCS. It's pretty cool, but athletics just aren't quite as serious here as they are in the US. The school here is much smaller (200 something students) so there aren't as many interested or that are very experienced. Also, it just seems that sport in general isn't quite as big of a deal (in Austria) - especially women's sports. VCS is a little different since it's an American-International school, though. Anyhow, we practice two times a week, and I feel like I'm the mean coach - I push them more. I think that's thanks to Eugene Kim (if you know him, you'll appreciate this more) since he taught me most everything I know about coaching volleyball. And compared to him I'm a softy.

Anyhow, we have only had 2 practices so far, and we have our first game next Monday in Bratislava. That's about an hour away - actually across the Austrian border just into Slovakia. I hear that this school is even smaller than VCS, so I think we have a chance of competing and winning.

Also, I'm co-teacher of 2 middle school boys PE classes. It's pretty fun most of the time. We're teaching them basketball now, but we they can't seem to focus very well or we feel they just need a good work out - we drill them. :) We use everything from leap frog to push ups to wheelbarrow races to "up-downs" (a football drill). It's pretty fun to watch them work themselves into shape. But don't worry - they are STILL junior highers and they still go crazy, we just try to get them in shape in the mean time.

No comments: