Monday, February 20, 2006

Life and Work at VCS

Well, it was almost a week ago that I had a really cool conversation with a parent. This is the kind of stuff that gives me an extra boost.
Because I used to work with refugees - particularly ones from non-Christian countries, I'm a little sensitive to saying names and all in stuff like this blog. Anyhow, there are two kids at our school that just started this year. They are from Iran and are not believers. I've heard that the kids LOVE school so much that they always talk about it at home and don't want to leave school. It's a very new experience for them - language, culture, faith. Most of my interactions, though, are with their dad.
He is a very friendly man whose English is excellent. Almost every time he sees me, he asks me when I'm going to make him come visit me and take his money. (some people pay for tuition in cash directly to me) It's funny because it's the opposite of most parents. Anyhow, he took a liking to me and my candy dish on my desk in the fall. He's always been curious about the school - why we do things like we do, curious about chapel and what that's like, etc.
We were talking a little business and he basically asked how the school made it with tuition being so low. I told him about how almost all of the staff raise support. He didn't know about that and was pretty surprised. He is very smart when it comes to business and said that we must all be very committed. I said yes and told him about how we all feel strongly that God has led us here and that we do our best to trust him.
I didn't whip out the Bible on him or anything, but did give him more insight into who we are. And who we are is only because of God and his grace.

I wish you could meet this parent from Iran - he's cool.

No comments: