Monday, May 15, 2006

Some Changes

With all of this baby hubub, I haven't really written much of anything about school and finances and my work there. I still really like it - it's challenging sometimes but I'm learning a lot. I'm planning to take a class or two in the fall towards an MBA. I'm not stuck on getting a degree, but I do want to learn some more things about business, accounting, budgeting, etc. That will definitely help me do my job better. Plus VCS will pay - bonus.

Recently I and some other people on the VCS financial aid committee had to sort through a huge pile of applications for financial aid for next year. It's not easy because some families have a lot of need and there is only so much the school board has approved to give. We do a lot for many families, but there are always some that aren't happy with what we gave them. It can be frustrating to feel like we're being generous and then to be begged for more. One huge encouragement was a handwritten note I got from a parent just a few days ago. It said "Thank you so much for the excellent discount for for 06-07 school year. For me it is a really big help." Even just that makes me feel like - Yes!! - all of the stress and hours I put in to this financial aid stuff was worth it. And it helps even more to think of the individual children that this is helping by the education they're getting and encouragement to follow Jesus with their life.

One other cool thing - I get to play volleyball tonight with a club of Austrians I hooked up with. :) They're pretty good, too.

No comments: