Friday, June 15, 2007

We're in the Club!

Ever since I can remember I have heard about how little kids get free treats at the grocery store just because they are cute. People in Austria LOVE little kids, and often go out of their way (especially elderly folks) to say hello or ask a slew of questions about how old the baby is or if it's a boy or girl. Well, my friend Laura's 2 year old daughter, Rebecca, is so cute that she's often the recipient of a free piece of meat from the deli, and even recently she received a free krapfen, which is the Austrian version of a filled donut.
I have been so jealous of this, mainly because up until 2 days ago, no one even batted eyes at Cole. The cashiers are often frustrated with his perfect ability to snatch anything off the check out shelves or conveyer belt!
So 2 days ago, I was buying turkey at the deli, and low and behold, the lady held out a FREE PIECE OF MEAT for Cole! I was shocked...so shocked that I called my friend Laura just to tell her that we are officially in the free meat club for kids. And then today I was at Chris's favorite chocolate store in Vienna, Xocolat, looking for a Father's Day gift. By the way, Father's Day in Austria was LAST Sunday, so you can imagine how crazy I sounded when I told the lady in German that I was looking for a Father's Day gift. Anyway, I was paying for the item we found for Chris and the very nice chocolate saleslady offered Cole a FREE PIECE OF CHOCOLATE! Yes, we are also now in the free chocolate club for kids, too. Why did this start happening NOW, when we only have 2 weeks left in Vienna? :) Do they do this in the USA?

2 comments:

Christiane said...

I remember getting dum-dum suckers at from the bank teller when I was little...maybe they still do that? Lucy did get a sticker from one of the police officers in the Indianapolis airport. I think there's hope for Cole in the USA :) I don't understand why it took them so long to give him something - he's a pretty darn cute kiddo!

Barnes Family said...

anne,
i'm so jealous!!! no, not much free stuff here in the usofa. well, i shouldn't say that. free kids meals at various restaurants on various nights. oh, AND the Fresh Market has a free kids cookie club. so, i guess it's not so bad after all!