Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Victory Day




I have deemed today Victory Day!  It's only 3 p.m., but enough victories have occurred already today that if the rest of the day is junk we still win.  I took Cole to the doctor for his 2 year checkup this morning.  Up until today, our adventures at the doctor have been complete day-ruining disasters.  Cole runs away from me and the nurses have to chase him around the office while I take care of Max...you can imagine the craziness.   Today, though, Cole was nothing short of perfect!  He stood on the scale patiently, he did not run away at all, he ate his snack nicely, he said hi to the doctor when he walked in, let the doctor check him out, and the best part is when the nurse had to draw blood from his finger for an iron test, he didn't cry but said, "There's blood in that tube, Mommy."  He loved the red band-aid she gave him afterwards.  Woah. What a victory!  Then we get home and are playing in Cole's room with Lego blocks.  I have been noticing lately that Max loves to use his legs to push up. He kicks the toys on the play gym instead of reaching for them, and he can support himself with his legs if we hold his hands.  Crazy for a young baby, right? I thought so until he did it.  So I decided today to put Max in the Johnny Jumper in Cole's bedroom doorway.  He loved it!  He watched Cole and I make block towers and "blow them down" just the wolf does in the 3 Little Pigs story.   Cole is really into that book right now.   We read the version called The True Story of the Three Little Pigs where the wolf claims to be framed because all he wanted from the pigs was a cup of sugar for his dear old granny's birthday cake.  Cole loves it!  The next victory is that I'm trying to stretch Max's feedings to 3.5 hours instead of 3 hours between feedings.   Yesterday was rocky, but today Max has been great!  Less spit up and great naps!  So after the blocks we took a walk around our neighborhood to enjoy the sun.  I put Max in the baby bjorn facing out so he could watch the world and he loved that, too!  I put his little sun hat on and we took to the streets!  We watched the bulldozers and dump trucks that are doing construction on the street next to ours.  What great free entertainment for Cole.  So then we come home and it's time for lunch.  I put Max down for his 2nd nap of the day and he sleeps soundly for almost 2 hours, and in meantime Cole and I had a great lunch, Skyped with Chris's parents in CA, made milkshakes, and read a bunch of books together.  Cole took his nap at 2, and Max woke up a few minutes after that for his next feeding, right on time!  And lastly, my grandma called me today to tell me she's sending me a Gardening in Indiana book because I call her so much with flower questions. We haven't lived in this house in the spring yet, so all kinds of interesting things are beginning to come up that I am so intrigued by and she's an expert gardener so I call her all the time.  I think my neighbors have a peony bush...my favorite!  
I normally never write such long posts, but today was definitely blogworthy!  Thanks for sharing in my victory day!    

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne, I know I never leave comments-but just wanted to say what an awesome Mom you are!!!!God bless. MJV(Liana's mom)

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne.... Bubba and I think you are amazing! As we've said before, Cole and Max are so blessed to have such an involved mom. It was fun to be there with you and Cole today via Skype. You are very special!

Love,
Judy

Jenni said...

good days are something to celebrate! I can't believe max is already big enough for the jumper- they grow fast!
jenni

PS jonah acts the same as cole at the Dr's office. he practically wrestles with the doctor during his checkups! hopefully next time jonah will be as calm as cole :)

Jay & Jess said...

We love Skype too!! It's a new thing for us - but would love to chat sometime! :)