Thursday, June 09, 2005

Huts in the Wild

So I'm taking a German class for the month of June at the Deutsch Akademie in Vienna. I am one of two Americans, the other being the 5th grade teacher at V.C.S. We signed up together. The other seven students are from Bulgaria, India, Romania, Hungary, and Sweden. Often the teacher, Eva, asks us to talk to the person sitting next to us in German. So tonight I talked with Olikara, who is from India. He had some interesting things to say...

He told me that the U.S. is the #1 country in the world because we name our winds. When a massive, damaging wind moves across the U.S., the expert meteorologists name it Hurricane Andrew, Typhoon George, you get my point. Olikara says that the reason people in the U.S. do this is because there are already enough people in the country to make it function well that the other people need to have something to do with their time. Hence, they become an expert on something, like meteorolgy, or my favorite, naming wind. He believes that the U.S. draws all the brilliant professionals from the world to live and work because there is opportunity for them to become educated and apply what their skill. I deduct that in most countries, this is not possible, and therefore most people prioritize their time to accomplish daily tasks that allow the country to merely function. Maybe India is this way?

I had never thought of this before Olikara mentioned it tonight during our pause (pow suh), or break, in German class. Is this true? What do you think? I am thankful to be a teacher, and even more thankful that I had the opportunity to pursue a degree I desired. Much of the world is not this way.

Lastly, he told me that the people from years, back, meaning Native Americans, who inhabited the U.S. before the white Europeans took over, don't participate in this phenomenon in the U.S. They're still living in huts in the wild!

Hilarious:).

No comments: