Thursday, September 14, 2006

Back To School Night

Well, I'm sitting here at the front desk of VCS on Back To School Night. My "duty" tonight is to watch the front door and push the buzzer with my foot to let people in the front door. It's slow right now, because all of the parents are here and are roaming from class to class, finding out what their kids do every day. It's cool to see so many parents that I only see a few times all year, plus the ones I've never met and the ones I see regularly.

In about a half hour, Anne and I (Cole is home sleeping with a babysitter) are going to join Becca West in a short meeting with parents of the 9th graders. We're going to talk a little about what the goal is of having the class do activities together, service trips, the big senior trip, etc. There are a bunch of activities and fundraisers that will have to happen along the way so we'll talk about that also. We really want to emphasize that the students and parents initiate and lead most all of those things, mostly so the students learn some new skills of communication, planning, organizing finances, etc. Should be fun to get to know these kids better and have fun with them over at least the next 2 years - ideally for them, all 4 years of high school.

That's all for now. Tschuss.

No comments: