Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Prater Billa

Grocery stores, bakeries, post offices, shops, and most restaurants are closed today in Vienna in observance of Mary's Ascension (or assumption). Yes. Mary's Ascension. So when Cole and I ventured out to pick up some groceries for dinner tonight, we were not so pleasantly surprised, since most Americans tend to forget these Austrian holidays. Humbug. Our only grocery option was a store called Billa located at the train station near our neighborhood and next to a huge amusement park called Prater. This store more often than not resembles more of a circus or zoo than Kroger or Trader Joe's, but we braved it. Imagine the Indy 500 on your high school track. You can find people from I think every country in the world at this store, and their top selling item: beer. Not somewhere to sip a cappuccino and relax as you peruse the gourmet selection. Cole and I navigated the mess just fine UNTIL the check out herd. I was quietly waiting in my line and looking at the stuff for sale near the cash register, when a middle-aged lady grabbed my shoulders from behind and moved me over out of her way. Then, she grabed Cole's stroller, lifted it up, and moved him out of her way, too. A glare follwed as she shoved her cart through to check out at the lane next to mine. Woah, lady. I smiled at her and went home. All in a day's work at the Prater Billa. Next time I'll check my calendar.

No comments: